Vegan Berry & Chocolate Ice Cream
For the love of all things vegan! This has been one of my favorite recipes to make. Never again will I purchase another pint of overpriced vegan delights from the grocery store. Although the prep time before actual go-time into the automatic ice cream maker is about 30 minutes of cooking and cool time is about an hour, everything can be made ahead and stored for a bit.
- You will need an automatic ice cream maker, 1 bag of ice and rock salt to make the churned ice cream. Follow ice cream maker directions when you get ready to use the maker.
- The metal container for the ice cream maker must be left in the freezer until it is super cold.
- 1/2 c fresh black berries
- 1/2 c fresh strawberries
- 1/4 c almond or coconut milk
- 1/4 c agave
Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until mixture is smooth. This will be added to base.
Ice Cream Base:
- 2 (12.5 oz) cans of full-fat coconut milk - usually found on Asian foods aisle at store
- 1/2 c. agave nectar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1.4 c vegan chocolate nibs
- 2 TBSP cornstarch + 1/4 c almond milk stirred together
Combine all ingredients EXCEPT cornstarch/almond milk mix into a sauce pan and heat on a medium heat until chocolate nibs are melted and sauce begins to bubble. Make sure to keep stirring to avoid burning. Remove from heat, pour into a bowl and stir in cornstarch mix. Then add puree & stir. Once combined, place in fridge for at least an hour to cool mixture.
Once you are ready to make the ice cream, transfer base into the metal container and follow ice cream maker's directions. NOTE: typical freeze time may be slightly less than the standard time for conventional ice cream.
Add all the toppings that your heart desires and enjoy this vegan treat.